"Be the change you wish to see in the world."~Gandhi

March 24, 2011

Day 2: New York City Food Bank - Harlem


It’s amazing to think how much the group got out of today’s service event and it’s only the second day! We spent the day working at a soup kitchen in Harlem serving breakfast and dinner to the community. The staff was so warm and welcoming from the moment we got there and made us immediately feel like we were family. While working with the staff brought us moments of laughter it was heartbreaking to see the number of individuals who came through the doors. Reality set in as we realized how many individuals relied on the soup kitchen. The crowd of people lined outside the door for breakfast immediately rushed in creating a chaotic line. While this was happening I noticed one young girl within the crowd that stuck out to me the most. She looked to be in her early 20’s. I tried putting myself in her shoes and pondered what it would be like to rely on the soup kitchen for a meal. I don’t know her story and I don’t know her given situation, but I hope serving her that breakfast brought some comfort and relief to her day.

Everyone seemed to be affected by the day as we shared with one another our stories during reflection. We just couldn’t imagine what it would be like to have to worry about our next meal or where we would get it.  I personally felt this day opened up my eyes even more. Working in the warehouse was great, but serving the food to each individual made the experience so much more personal. I saw the elderly, young adults, and children walk through those doors hoping to get at least one meal. I can’t imagine what they’ve been through or what they’ve gone through. It was hard to see the truth and reality on the problem with hunger within the community but I’m glad I got to see it firsthand. I hope that our service today or even just the simples smiles we had on our faces helped those individuals in some part of their day. After today I’m much more appreciative of programs like the food bank and the soup kitchens that help those in need of a meal. I wonder what the next couple of days will bring for us as a group, but I sure can’t wait to find out.

Jessica
            4th Yr. Political Science

No comments:

Blog Archive